STRESS AND HEALTH
Stress is any event that strains or exceeds an individuals’ ability to cope.
Sources (Causes) of Stress
- Pressure – stress that comes from the threat of negative events.
- Life Events and Daily Hassles – Significant events that occur in a person’s life. Examples include: Divorce, Having Children, Natural Disasters’, Crime,.
What to Do if you are Experiencing Stress:
- Reduce Caffeine
- Exercise – exercising as little as 3-4 times per week increases endorphin (feel good chemicals in brain) levels thereby reducing stress.
- Cognitive Therapy – Talking to someone (Friends, Family or a Professional).
- Journaling – Writing down sources of stress, often, provides a different perspective and helps to find solutions to stressors. Examples: A common stressor is having too many things to do with very little time. Making a list of everything you need to do can help you stay organized. Sometimes, it shows you that things weren't as bad as you’d thought.
- Turn Up the Music – Music can be a great stress relief (Go to your car and blast your favorite song;).
- Put You First – Take a short nap
- If you cannot be alone and need a release stay in the bathroom an extra 5 or 10 minutes
- If you’re driving to/from an errand stay in the car for a few minutes and just sit and relax.
- Take some deep breaths.